MadSci Network: Anatomy

Re: What structure in your eye makes it water.

Area: Anatomy
Posted By: Samuel Conway, Senior Staff Chemist, Avid Therapeutics,Philadelphia, PA
Date: Mon Jun 9 19:47:42 1997
Area of science: Anatomy
ID: 863110664.An
There is a gland under the upper eyelid, toward the outside edge, called
the LACRIMAL GLAND.  This produces tears which are spread across the 
eye with each blink to keep it moist.  The tears them drain out through
the "tear duct" on the inside corner of the eye, and into the nose.  

An eye that waters too much can either have an overactive lacrimal
gland (which is often the body's way of trying to flush out irritants)
or it can be a blocked tear duct, a rather common problem which often
requires a physician's help.

Current Queue | Current Queue for Anatomy | Anatomy archives

Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Anatomy.

MadSci Home | Information | Search | Random Knowledge Generator | MadSci Archives | Mad Library | MAD Labs | MAD FAQs | Ask a ? | Join Us! | Help Support MadSci

MadSci Network
© 1997, Washington University Medical School