|MadSci Network: Other|
First you have to tell me which side you are on and how much of the bet I get. Seriously, but not very, molds can be poisonous, but not usually. It may depend on your definition of poisonous. If some Penicillium mold makes some penicillin and a person who is allergic to penicillin eats a substantial quantity and has a fatal anaphylactic reaction, is that poisonous? I would say not, but some might say so. The disease of ergotism occurs when certain molds on rye produce ergot alkaloids (a lot like LSD). I would consider this a grain-mold poisoning, but I have never heard of it occuring on white bread. Heck, most self respecting molds wouldn't even touch that stuff. It's really only useful for feeding pre- adolescent boys. Most of the time, however, mold is not particularly dangerous, just offensive. Hope this helps, but I really don't think it will, David Winsemius, MD
Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Other.