|MadSci Network: Microbiology|
My son who is 16 years old keeps throwing out the commercially prepared cheddar or swiss cheese from our refridgerator because it develops a blue mould after 5-6 days. I understand some mould is introduced to give cheeses, such as Gorgonzola or Stilton, flavor. My question deals with: may we still eat the cheese by just slicing the mould off. Are most of these moulds a variety of penicillum? Also, are these moulds unhealthy to eat? Even though scrapped off, is the a possibilty on other food contamination in the refridgerator? I am 60 years old and I have been scraping mould off for a long time without any negative incident. Are consumers affected? My goal is not to have my son waste good cheesse. He, though, needs an authoritative explanation. So do I.
Re: is cheese mold detrimental to your health?
Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Microbiology. MadSci Home