MadSci Network: Environment & Ecology

Re: Who pays for the damage when a tidal wave hits?

Date: Wed May 5 08:58:32 1999
Posted By: Carl Morgan, , Meteorology, National Weather Service
Area of science: Environment & Ecology
ID: 925230397.En


After a natural disaster, such as a tornado, hurricane, earthquake, or tidal wave (tsunami), the cost of repairing the damage becomes the responsibility of the property owner. It is up to the property owner to make sure he or she has adequate insurance, or other means, to cover the cost of repair or replacement.

Obviously, coastal locations are at a higher risk for damage from hurricanes and tsunamis, and therefore, those who own property in the higher-risk areas would be wise (and in some instances, are required by law) to carry insurance.

In some cases, where damage is extreme, even some insurance companies can't afford to pay. In those cases, the Federal Government may chip in to help them out.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, FEMA, will also offer assistance to state and local governments and certain private non-profit organizations to rebuild.

Countries other than the United States may have other ways of handling the aftermath of these disasters.

Current Queue | Current Queue for Environment & Ecology | Environment & Ecology archives

Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Environment & Ecology.

MadSci Home | Information | Search | Random Knowledge Generator | MadSci Archives | Mad Library | MAD Labs | MAD FAQs | Ask a ? | Join Us! | Help Support MadSci

MadSci Network,
© 1995-1999. All rights reserved.