|MadSci Network: Chemistry|
Most definitely yes. If you can smell, it is in gaseous or vapor form and is entering your body. Your body also absorbs it through the skin. You also drink it in tap water. Though usually added to the water supply as sodium hypochlorite, this product breaks down into chlorine or byproducts of disinfection, including more toxic dichloramines and monochloramines to name a few. Talk to your municipality about switching to ozone, but they may laugh at you due to the expense. The smaller amounts of chlorine you ingest on a normal, daily basis do not present acute hazards, but chronic effects may be caused by disinfection byproducts. Because of the myriad of little critters in water worldwide, the alternative of not chlorinating your water has far worse implications.
Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Chemistry.