MadSci Network: Earth Sciences

Re: What piece of equipment is used to measure wind?

Date: Mon Nov 8 23:57:37 1999
Posted By: In Koo Kim, Grad student, Atmospheric Physical Chemistry, University of Colorado @ Boulder
Area of science: Earth Sciences
ID: 941087947.Es

Wind velocity is measured by use of a pitot tube.  It is essentially an open 
tube that is held perpendicular to the wind direction.  The other side of 
the tube measures the decrease in pressure due to the flow over the open 
side.  It uses basic bernoulli principles to calculate the wind velocity 
necessary to create the decrease in pressure.

[Moderator note:  There are other types of anemometers. One common type uses 
rotating "cups", with the frequency of rotation related to wind speed.]

Current Queue | Current Queue for Earth Sciences | Earth Sciences archives

Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Earth Sciences.

MadSci Home | Information | Search | Random Knowledge Generator | MadSci Archives | Mad Library | MAD Labs | MAD FAQs | Ask a ? | Join Us! | Help Support MadSci

MadSci Network,
© 1995-1999. All rights reserved.