|MadSci Network: Medicine|
Hi Ruel... Sulfuric acid is a clear, colorless, oily, and odorless liquid. It is also known as sulphine acid, battery acid, and hydrogen sulfate. More sulfuric acid is produced in the United States than any other chemical. Its main use is in phosphate fertilizer production. It is also used to manufacture explosives, other acids, explosives, dyestuffs, parchment paper, glue, wood preservatives, and lead-acid batteries in vehicles. It is used in the purification of petroleum, the pickling of metal, electroplating baths, nonferrous metallurgy, and production of rayon and film; and as a laboratory reagent. Sulfuric acid is very corrosive. It can be found in the air as small droplets or it can be attached to other small particles in the air. When concentrated sulfuric acid is mixed with water, the solution gets very hot. Concentrated sulfuric acid can catch fire or explode when it comes into contact with many chemicals, including acetone, alcohols, and metals. When heated, it emits highly toxic fumes that include sulfur trioxide. It is capable of igniting finely divided combustible materials. It is incompatible or reactive with organic materials, chlorates, carbides, fulminates, water, and powdered metals. It is soluble in water and ethyl alcohol. Sulfuric acid is very corrosive and irritating and can cause direct effects on the skin, eyes, and respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts when there is direct exposure to sufficient concentrations. It can cause blindness if thrown on the eyes. Drinking concentrated sulfuric acid can burn the mouth and throat, erode a hole in the stomach, and possibly cause death. Breathing sulfuric acid mists can result in tooth erosion and respiratory tract irritation. Breathing small droplets of sulfuric acid that may be in polluted air may make it more difficult to breathe. Breathing large amounts of sulfuric acid droplets will also decrease the ability of the respiratory tract to remove other small particles in the respiratory tract. Exposure through inhalation, ingestion, or contact with the skin can cause pulmonary edema, bronchitis, emphysema, conjunctivitis, stomatis, tracheobronchitis, and dermatitis Sulfur Trioxide (SO3) also call sulfuric anhydride is listed by the EPA and OSHA as a highly toxic substance. It can react in the atmosphere with water to form sulfuric acid, which then reacts with ammonia or other cations to form particles of ammonia sulfate or some other sulfate. These small particles are responsible for urban particulate and visibility problems. Reduction means the removal of oxygen or the addition of hydrogen. These chemicals are also produced in the burning of fossil fuels and contribute to acid rain…Hope this helps….Mark
Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Medicine.