|MadSci Network: General Biology|
Sorry about the loss of your pet. Although my experience is with the inhalation of cyanide, I would think that if your dog ingested cyanide and it died suddenly, it was an acute poisoning of cyanide (which can be found in pest control media like rat poison). If it was acute and dog was probably exibiting convulsions, frothing at the mouth, and respiratory problems. If this was the case, a simple blood test can confirm the presence of cyanide. If it was chronic cyanide poisoning (a little cyanide ingested over a long period of time), hair and nail samples can be taken to prove cyanide poisoning. Most likely, it was an acute ingestion - but I would also check with your vet and examine the lab tests that were run (if any). One sign of ethylene glycol poisoning (anti-freeze) is kidney failure and that may be another way your pet was poisoned. Good Luck, Kelly Dennison Industrial Hygienist
Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on General Biology.