MadSci Network: Anatomy

Re: What are the bumps around some women's nipples called and what are they for

Date: Sat May 27 21:11:55 2000
Posted By: Erin Cram, Grad student, Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of CA, Berkeley
Area of science: Anatomy
ID: 959347414.An

Interesting question!

I found your answer at:

and, I quote from it here:

While the skin covering the breast is smoother, thinner, and more translucent 
than on most of the rest of the body, the areola's skin is even thinner and has 
complex sweat glands and sebaceous glands (which secrete an oily lubricating 
substance called sebum) and hair follicles. The surface of the areola is marked 
by a number of small bumps called the tubercles of Montgomery. These are sweat 
and sebaceous glands that become more prominent in the second half of the 
menstrual cycle and grow throughout pregnancy. 


Current Queue | Current Queue for Anatomy | Anatomy archives

Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Anatomy.

MadSci Home | Information | Search | Random Knowledge Generator | MadSci Archives | Mad Library | MAD Labs | MAD FAQs | Ask a ? | Join Us! | Help Support MadSci

MadSci Network,
© 1995-2000. All rights reserved.