MadSci Network: Physics

Subject: What, if anything, doe the 'J-K' in J-K Flip-Flop stand for?

Date: Sun Mar 11 22:33:50 2001
Posted by Mike
Grade level: nonaligned School: No school entered.
City: No city entered. State/Province: No state entered. Country: UK
Area of science: Physics
ID: 984368030.Ph

> I have been asked by a coworker this question and thought it would be easy
> to answer - no. The only mentions I have seen indicate that J and K just
> happen to be adjacent letters of the alphabet. This may be the answer but
> does not seem very satisfying.

In this context a flip-flop is an electronic bistable memory cell. There are
several kinds:
D Type, a simple Data flip-flop.
S-R Type, slightly more complex Set-Reset
J-K Type, more sophisticated still.

Re: What, if anything, doe the 'J-K' in J-K Flip-Flop stand for?

Current Queue | Current Queue for Physics | Physics archives

Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Physics.

MadSci Home | Information | Search | Random Knowledge Generator | MadSci Archives | Mad Library | MAD Labs | MAD FAQs | Ask a ? | Join Us! | Help Support MadSci

MadSci Network,
© 1995-2001. All rights reserved.