|MadSci Network: Engineering|
Our microwave contained a piece inside of the oven that appeared to be melted. Since the manual said that the oven should not be used if any of the metal parts on the interior were damaged, I held a magnet up to what I thought was the waveguide cover to determine whether it was metal. It was not metal and therefore we assumed everything is fine. However, I started wondering as to whether holding a magnet up to the waveguide cover (waveguide and magnetron is located on the other side) could cause microwaves to be produced - thereby exposing me to microwaves. Or is it possible that holding a magnet up to the waveguide cover could damage the magnetron? I appreciate your time and consideration in answering my question.
Re: Will touching a magnet on waveguide cover in microwave cause microwaves?
Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Engineering.