MadSci Network: Physics

Subject: What is a 'plasmon'?

Date: Fri Oct 24 14:20:14 2003
Posted by John
Grade level: grad (science) School: No school entered.
City: Dallas State/Province: TX Country: US
Area of science: Physics
ID: 1067023214.Ph

I've seen some references to plasmons in stories on  But,
searching the web finds no layman's explaination about them--only technical
papers for condenced matter physisists, or a company that happens to be spelled
the same way.  Searching madsci shows that the word has never been uttered here
before now.

So, can you explain what is a plasmon to someone who knows the kinds of things
he sees on the Discovery Channel or reads in SciAm?

Re: What is a 'plasmon'?

Current Queue | Current Queue for Physics | Physics archives

Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Physics.

MadSci Home | Information | Search | Random Knowledge Generator | MadSci Archives | Mad Library | MAD Labs | MAD FAQs | Ask a ? | Join Us! | Help Support MadSci

MadSci Network,
© 1995-2003. All rights reserved.