|MadSci Network: General Biology|
Ultra violet light is actually harmful to many bacteria as it disrupts their cell walls. Just as UV-rays can be harmful to you when you spend too much time on the beach. UV-light can be used in low doses to cause mutation in bacterial cells, in higher doses it is lethal. In short, UV-light will disrupt cell growth and if in a high enough exposure will kill the cells. Bryan E. Wilson B.S. RM(NRM)
Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on General Biology.