|MadSci Network: Chemistry|
what is the difference between strong acid and concentrated acid?
A strong acid is one that is completely dissociated in a particular solvent, when the concentration is not too high:
HA + S ® A- + HS+How strong this needs to be will vary from solvent to solvent, but we normally think of a strong acid as one that is completely dissociated in water.
We need to be careful here: phosphoric acid (H3PO4) is a strong acid, but does not lose all three protons in aqueous solution.
H3PO4 + 2H2O ® HPO4-- + 2H3O+H3PO4 normally behaves in water as a dibasic (2-proton) acid toward weak bases. It takes a pretty strong base, like hydroxide, to remove the third proton.
A weak acid is one that is only partly dissociated, no matter what the concentration. For example, acetic acid (the active ingredient in vinegar) is only about 1% dissociated in water, even in dilute solutions.
A concentrated acid is an acid which is either pure (no solvent) or has a high concentration. Glacial acetic acid is a concentrated weak acid, and industrial sulfuric acid (about 98% by weight, the other 2% is water) is a concentrated strong acid.
Even strong acids are not completely dissociated when the concentration is too high: concentrated hydrochloric acid, even though it is only 12-13 moles per liter in water, is concentrated enough that there are irritating fumes of HCl gas above the acid. If you dilute the acid to 6 moles per liter, the fumes are no longer noticeable because the HCl is completely dissociated.
Try the links in the MadSci Library for more information on Chemistry.